Friday, March 11, 2005

Lovely

Mike Mullins has been keeping me posted on the Indiana General Assembly's efforts to pass a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages (which are already illegal in Indiana). The Indiana legislators are almost as ridiculous as their Tennessee counterparts. Having lived in Indiana for 24 years, I don't know whether to laugh, cry, or shrug.



As Mike points out, the picture accompanying this article is classic:

IndyStar.com: "At Statehouse, passions erupt over amendment"



Nuvo's coverage is a little more gutsy. (The first picture accompanying this article is just disturbing):

Nuvo: "God Hates Gays: Intolerance, tolerance meet at the Statehouse"



I am bothered that a) Christian schools bussed students to the Statehouse to support the amendment and b) many supporters of the amendment shouted "God hates gays" at those who were opposed. I haven't the time nor the energy to explain why yelling "God hates gays" is entirely incompatible with Christian teaching. And I won't discuss why, as a Christian educator, I am angered that some Christian schools chose to take their students to the capitol to support this bill rather than a bill that would, say, help lift people out of poverty or provide quality healthcare for people who are otherwise uninsurable. Finally, I will not bother you with my thoughts on how divorce, marital infidelity, spousal abuse, and antiquated gender roles are more serious threats to the institution of marriage than anything homosexuals are doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home