Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Has CBS No Shame?

After replacing Joan of Arcadia with a show on which Jennifer Love Hewitt talks to Ghosts, CBS sold another portion of its soul by creating the reality show Rock Star, where contestants compete to become the new lead singer of INXS. The show is hosted by Brooke Burke, host of the ever classy Wild On E! and Dave Navarro, who, believe it or not, used to play guitar for Jane's Addiction.

Promos for Rock Star fail to mention why INXS is in need of a lead singer. No, it is not because INXS has not released a successful album in 13 years. You may recall that original frontman Michael Hutchince died about seven years ago. (I may have misspelled Michael's last name; I was planning on checking it with the Rock Star website, but his name was nowhere to be found.)

Of course, I don't care for reality television in general. I think it is slowly choking the life out of American popular culture. But, my feelings aside, I hope we can all agree that reality television should never be used to replace dead bandmates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home