Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Why Is the President . . .

giving a speech opposite the NBA draft? If he intends to raise his slumping approval ratings (which, as far as I can tell, is the primary objective of tonight's address), he'll need to try harder.

I'm flipping back and forth right now. So far, I haven't heard anything new from the President. I agree, that some nations in the Middle East have recently held free elections is good. I don't know that the Bush administration should be taking credit for this development, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt—the administration's policies may have been a factor. And I know that the goal is to train Iraqi forces so that they can take over the security and anti-insurgency efforts. The Bushies have repeated this talking point several times. But, Dubya, you've gotta show me something. Nothing I've read gives me the impression that Iraqi forces will be prepared to take over any time in the forseeable future. I could be wrong; but, again, they've gotta show me something. And, of course, I'm still hearing nothing about the tens of thousands of dead Iraqi civilians. Who's remembering them on Independence Day?

From where I'm sitting, who the Pacers will select with the 17th pick is far more important than anything the President might say in the remainder of his address.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home