Sunday, July 31, 2005

Is the Stem Cell Debate a Distraction?

I don't know what to make of my senator going against the President and the religious Right on the issue of embryonic stem cell research. Has his medical background led him to endorse such research, or are his motives more political? (Of course, during the Terri Schiavo debacle, we learned that Senator Frist doesn't shy away from politicizing his medical credentials.) On one hand, the majority of Americans favor embryonic stem cell research, so Senator Frist's presidential aspirations may have played a role in changing his mind. On the other hand, he risks losing his base.

I suppose I support increased federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, though I don't know enough about the subject to take a strong stand one way or another. I fear, however, that the stem cell debate has distracted us from more important health-related issues. While increased funding for research offers new hope for the future, many Americans are suffering right now due to poor healthcare, no healthcare, or environmental health risks. I don't think that the federal government needs to become a healthcare provider, but I do think that the federal government needs to help states and localities find ways to meet people's healthcare needs. Aside from providing much needed revenue, congress and the administration could help state and municipal governments by passing stricter environmental legislation. Many illnesses are caused or exacerbated by pollution and other environmental conditions.

So I commend Frist for breaking with his party. (Too few politicians break with their parties these days.) But I think we need a more serious and comprehensive debate about health-related issues in America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home