Friday, August 26, 2005

The Attorney General of Country Music

Tennessee Attorney General Paul Summers has asked country music star Gretchen Wilson to stop waving a cannister of Skoal chewing tobacco during concert performances of her song "Skoal Ring." Summers fears that the popular performer is tempting her young fans to try smokeless tobacco. (He may have a point.)

Personally, I am repulsed by chewing tobacco. I have vivid memories of guys in my college dorm "dippin' chaw." (Forgive me if I am unsing improper terminology.) They would carry around Coke bottles that they would slowly fill with black slobber. It was disgusting.

Still, I think that Attorney General Summers should cut Gretchen some slack. After all, as she proclaims, she's a "redneck woman"; she "ain't no high-class broad." Let me get a "hell yeah!"

I don't know much about the attorney general (except that he loves capital punishment), but I wonder whether policing country music shows is part of his job description. Apparently, Summers thinks that it is. In a letter he wrote to Gretchen Wilson yesterday, the attorney general says:

As the attorney general of the home state of country music I want to discuss my concerns of your promotion of smokeless products, particularly as it relates to the youth who attend your concerts and who listen to your music.

There you go, Paul Summers is the Attorney General of the Home State of Country Music. I hope Summers also takes seriously his duties at the Attorney General of the Home State of Cracker Barrell, Federal Express, Those Freaky Walking Horses, Several Protestant Churches, and (at least in part) Nuclear Bombs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home