Saturday, August 20, 2005

My Senator Has Something to Say About Everything

My senator, Bill Frist, now backs teaching intelligent design in public schools. He says, "I think today a pluralistic society should have access to a broad range of fact, of science, including faith."

I agree that students should have access to a "broad range of fact," but he implies that faith should be taught as science. As a person of faith, this frightens me. The intelligent design movement argues that current scientific evidence calls into question the validity of the theory of evolution, which has long been taken for granted by many scientists. OK. But if God or "faith" replaces or becomes a scientific alternative to evolution, what happens when future generations bring forth evidence that pokes holes in intelligent-design theory? Does the existence of God then become a matter of scientific debate? Is the mystery of God reduced to mere paleontology? I am comfortable with teaching scientific theories that challenge our conventional understanding of evolution, but teaching God as science puts limits on God's creativity and God's essence.

Back to Senator Frist: The cynic in me says that Frist is playing to popular opinion on every hot-button issue that makes the headlines in preparation for a 2008 presidential run; the pragmatist in me says that if Frist really wants to win the nomination or the presidency, he should do less talking; the Republican in me says that Frist, as a U.S. senator with presidential ambitions, should leave this issue alone because curriculum standards should be determined by state and local governments, school boards, and (ideally) educators themselves. The Federal Government should have nothing to do with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home