Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Fair Trade Chocolate

UMCOR, which has long advocated fair trade coffee in churches, is now making a push to promote fairly traded chocolate products.

In other fair trade news, an employee at the Starbucks on West End (near Vanderbilt in Nashville) told me that the ubiquitous coffee shop has discontinued its certified Fair Trade Coffee. Starbucks employees have told me this in the past and have been wrong, so I won't jump to conclusions; but I think it's time for me to go elsewhere to purchase coffee with a conscious.

1 Comments:

Blogger Siel said...

Are you serious about the Starbucks thing? OMG -- I've been in touch with Starbucks, verifying and re-verifying their claim that they'll even individually french-press a cup of fair trade for any customer who requests it. A few of us in the blogosphere are trying to take them up on this claim, and would really, really appreciate it if you'd keep in touch -- my email's greenlagirl@gmail.com, and I keep a fair trade coffee blog -- to let me know what develops.

Of course, if you're gonna buy fair trade coffee, it's best to go to a smaller, local fair trade company that doesn't -- you know -- make Nashville look exactly like Los Angeles or any other city...

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home