Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I Think I'll Sit Out Today's Vote

Nashville Mayor Bill Purcell has asked for a half-cent sales tax increase in Metro Nashville (Davidson County) that would raise the total sales tax in the city to a whopping 9.75%. Revenue generated by the tax would be set aside for schools and tax breaks for seniors.

Personally, I am bothered that the mayor is asking me to choose between funding schools and helping seniors and not increasing the already cumbersome tax burden on the working poor. The current 9.25% sales tax that Nashvillians pay is, in my opinion, morally wrong; a half-cent increase is just disgusting. Also disgusting is our city's inability to fund our schools. I don't think that I can vote either way and feel good about what I have done. I'd rather protest being put in this situation in the first place.

I think that a more progressive system of taxation at the state level would benefit Tennessee cities; but we need to be more creative about generating revenue at the local level as well. Any ideas?

5 Comments:

Blogger John said...

How about a voluntary tax (i.e. lottery)?

6:51 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Josh, I share your concerns and feel just as conflicted. The pieces of information that may sway me are that the Nashville Ministerial Alliance (not exactly the right name) and Tying Nashville Together are both advocating FOR the referendum. While the tax burden falls most heavily on the working poor, failing public schools also hit the poor the hardest. I agree that as voters we've been put in an unfair position.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Michael Hickerson said...

I can understand the objection, but to not go out and vote about it just seem wrong.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Ariah said...

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing that. I think I wouldn't have voted too. I'm new to Nashville and missed this opportunity, but thanks for sharing details on what it was about.

8:00 PM  
Blogger gavin richardson said...

a day later, in the imortal words of bon jovi "shot! Doooowwwwnn in a blaze of glory!" with an embarassingly low voter turnout.

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home