Thursday, September 22, 2005

Interfaith Coalition Unveils Public School Bible Course

I haven't seen the curriculum itself, but from what I can gather from the article, this Bible class for public schools looks promising. Though I favor keeping church and state separate, I think that students need to leave high school with some knowledge of the Bible (and some other key religious texts as well). The Bible is an instrumental part of western history, philosophy, literature, and art; and biblical literacy will give many students a richer understanding of their cultural heritage. I'm glad to see a curriculum that seeks to teach the Bible in an educational setting without attaching a particular religious ideology. Churches can teach doctrine, theology, and ethics; but it seems reasonable for our public schools to give youth a solid overview of the foundational text of the world's largest religion. I'm eager to see a syllabus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home