Thursday, September 01, 2005

The Progressive Christian Disconnect

Dare We Be Christians? has an excellent post on the inability of well educated, progressive Christians to connect their social convictions to their faith. I've also noticed this tendency among the younger generation. I think that many progressives try so hard to distance themselves from the Religious Right that they distance themselves from the essence of their faith. (I know that I have sometimes been guilty of this.) But I also think that part of the blame rests on ignorance of Scripture and the history and tradition of the church. Social justice is neither unbiblical nor unorthodox; it is an important part of our Christian story, and we need to name it as such.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kara said...

thanks for the nod, Josh. Have you found other options at BUMC or is that why you continue to hang out on the 3rd floor on Sunday mornings?

BTW, GREAT song last night!

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home