Monday, October 03, 2005

Initial Thoughts on Harriet E. Miers

The Washington Post has the dossier on Miers.

I'm glad that Bush nominated a woman, albeit a white woman, but I'm not sure why he nominated someone with no judicial experience. As a United Methodist, I can't overlook that Miers chaired the Texas Lottery Commission before coming to the White House.

My cynical side tells me that Bush makes appointments without taking into consideration the qualifications for the jobs he is filling. Given recent controversy over the qualifications of other Bush appointees (particularly Mike Brown and John Bolton), I get the impression that, by nominating Miers, the President is giving the finger to the 60% of Americans who don't approve of the job he is doing. Then again, those who seem most upset about the Miers nomination are those who make up the President's base.

See also: Focus on the Family Statement on the Miers Nomination (Christian Dissent).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home