Saturday, November 19, 2005

Morning-After Pill Follow-Up

A reader rightly objected to how I used some terms in my recent post on the "morning-after pill." I said wrongly that conception was a two-step process that first involved fertilization and, secondly, implantation. In fact, medically speaking, conception takes place when an egg is fertilized, but a pregnancy begins when the egg implants on the uterine wall. As I understand it, experts and activists continue to debate whether life begins at conception/fertilization or at implantation/pregnancy. Then again, I could be wrong.

I should confess that any knowledge I have on this subject comes second-hand from my wife and from NetDoctor.co.uk. My wife has some expertise in these matters, but my non-medically-trained mind often misunderstands what she tells me or draws unfounded conclusions. My wife knows her stuff; I'm the problem here, and I should probably shut up.

But before I cease discussing contraception and pregnancy, I want to leave you with two things: 1) Given the constraints mentioned above, this post is my most thoughtful and informed writing on this subject. 2) I am still bothered by the FDA audit that was the impetus for my recent post, "Audit Questions FDA Decision on Morning-After Pill".

So I apologize for any misinformation I provided and thank J2 for pointing out my mistake.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jody Leavell said...

No Josh, don't "shut up". We need thoughtful discussion and interest in the subject and you have done a very good job of looking into this. This isn't a "womens issue" but a human issue. The social principles call us to a "searching and prayerful inquiry" on the subject and you are doing just that. I appreciate the fact that you have done that in a several posts. And you have given others, like me, a chance to comment and extend that dialogue. Don't shy away from the subject ever.

One thing that I have to constantly remind myself is that "I" have to be willing to consider different points of view on the subject and be willing to give up tightly held beliefs if God convicts my heart that His will is different from what I have thought. Learning how to have useful discussions that stretch us as Christians is important. I suppose we each need to learn the "rules" of good Christian debate. You seem to have a very good idea of that and I thank you for it.

5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home