Thursday, December 15, 2005

But I Don't Want to Trade Ron Artest

As a Pacers fan of many years, I am distressed by reports that star forward Ron Artest will almost certainly be traded. Sure, Artest has asked to be traded and has insisted that the team would be better off without him. Some NBA analysts agree. I don't. Artest is the Pacers' best player, and, despite his past troubles, I truly believe that he is a good guy (albeit a good guy with some mental health issues).

Earlier this week, Artest said the following:


"Here, I think my past haunts me," Artest said. "I think they will be a better team without me."

I'm so demanding of the ball, it's not my fault," he said. "Every time somebody is on me, it's a mismatch. It messes up the offense. I like Coach (Carlisle) as a person but I don't like playing for Coach. I like my team, though."

Granted, I don't know Ron Artest personally, but these remarks sound to me like the words of someone who is suffering through a bout of depression―words that may be retracted or qualified when a person is thinking more clearly. I'm also not sure if Artest is wise to try to run from his demons instead of facing up to them. In terms of support during a difficult time, I cannot think of a more nurturing coach-executive combo than Rick Carlisle, Larry Bird, and Donnie Walsh.

Because of the perceived risk of taking on Artest, I'm not sure that the Pacers will be able to get equal value in return for their star. At best, they could get a smorgasboard of decent players who may or may not pan out. And without Artest, the Pacers' chances of going deep into the playoffs or winning a championship are very small.

So, Donnie and Larry, do whatever you can to keep Ron around for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home