Thursday, August 03, 2006

Non-Voter's Guilt

As an independent who approaches both major political parties with a mixture of skepticism, cynicism, and resignation, I usually sit out primary elections. Thus I sat out today's election.

But on this first Thursday in August, when Tennessee Republicans and Democrats select their nominees for state and federal offices, voters elect several nonpartisan local officials. School board members, for instance.

Watching the returns this evening, I decided that I was wrong not to vote. As the father of two children who will be enrolled in Metro public schools in the not-so-distant future, I should have a hand in determining who serves on the school board. Learning about the candidates for such an unglamorous office seems tedious, but I was encouraged to see how many school board incumbants were either defeated or struggling to hold on to their seats. (Many low-profile offices go almost automatically to the incumbant, unless he or she chooses not to run.)

I think that, in my nearly twelve years of voting, I've only voted in one primary election. In the 2002 primary Davidson County residents elected a vice mayor to replace the disgraced Ronnie Steine. When I arrived at the precinct, the election official asked, "Republican or Democrat?" I said, "Neither." She replied, "Then why are you here?" I explained that I wanted to vote for vice mayor. The official and those behind me in line applauded my dedication. I suppose people are only expected to bother with local politics if they are already at the polls voting for state and federal officials.

At any rate, I need to be voting for school board members, even if it means playing the role of lonely independent.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lou Pickney said...

Hey Josh... As a registered Libertarian, I hear you on the limited choices related to primary elections. But I'm a firm believer in voting, even if there aren't many choices on the ballot.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home