Sunday, October 29, 2006

Let Me Tell You What Bugs Me About the New Harper Collins Study Bible

First, I should say that my experiences with all Harper Collins Study Bibles have been favorable and that, like previous editions, the 2006 version contains excellent and exhaustive commentary. Unlike its predecessor, the new edition features a concordance, though not a terribly comprehensive one.

What bugs me about the new Harper Collins Study Bible is how the names of numbered books are rendered in the headers—the numbers are written as words instead of as numerals: First Corinthians instead of 1 Corinthians; Second Kings instead of 2 Kings; and so on. I don't know about you, but when I'm flipping through a Bible, I key in on numerals to know where I am. I never really noticed this until I found myself without the numerals.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used the HC back in LRF when it was recommended, but I long since switched to the NIB Study Bible, which is the best frickin thing since sliced bread. Plus it's edited by Walter Harrelson, a Vandyite. I don't recall its approach to numerals, but I also don't recall any annoyances like the one you're describing.

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home