Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Bill to Ban "Girls Gone Wild" Ads Dies in Committee

From the Tennessean:

Lawmakers sponsoring a bill to ban late-night TV ads showing half-naked young women say their fight is not over despite failure of the measure in a legislative subcommittee on Tuesday.

The so-called "Girls Gone Wild" bill died in the House Civil Practice Subcommittee after it got a motion, but failed to get a second by a committee member, which is needed for the bill to be considered.

I'm all for first amendment rights and everything, but I'd be happy to see the Girls Gone Wild commercials disappear. I have a habit of flipping on the television whenever I'm trying to get one of the kids back to sleep*, and I really don't want either of my children to see those ads. They are so demeaning and destructive and give kids such a warped view of human sexuality and body-image.

* I understand that my habit of turning on the TV in the middle of the night is part of the problem. I must also confess that my wife, Ashlee, shoulders the burden of getting the kids back to sleep far more often than I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home