Tuesday, March 22, 2005

With Dignity

Given the ubiquity of the coverage, I cannot not think about the Terri Schiavo story. I won't be able to record all my thoughts on the matter, but I will say this: Regardless of whether or not Terri Schiavo would have wanted her feeding tube removed in this situation, I doubt that she would have wanted to become the focal point of a heated national debate; I would assume that she would not enjoy having pictures of herself in a persistent vegetative state featured in every major newspaper and on every major news website; and I don't know Terri Schiavo at all, but very few people would approve of their personal tragedies being used by politicians to fuel ideological debates. I suppose by commenting, I'm only contributing to the problem.

That's it for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home