Thursday, June 30, 2005

Poetry by Marc McKee

I was Googling some past friends and acquaintances last night, and I found this page of poetry by Marc McKee in Slope, a poetry journal. I got to know Marc when he lived in Bloomington, Indiana and hung around with my friends Eric Dedert and Andy Cook (both members of the band Siphon). Marc and I once saw Beck together (The Roots and Atari Teenage Riot were also on the bill), and he was generous and courteous enough to be a fan of my band, the National Biscuit Company. Marc was a cool guy: He taught at a Montessori school, wrote poetry, read incessantly, drank beers the rest of us hadn't heard of, followed the local music scene, and rolled his own cigarettes. (I should clarify: I have never been a smoker and don't care for the practice, but, for some reason, smoking was cool when Marc did it. Maybe I had a nonsexual crush or something.) Marc, as far as I know, is now a graduate student in the University of Houston's prestigious creative writing program.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home