Saturday, August 27, 2005

Titan's Fans Needn't Be Optimistic

I know it's just preseason, but I can't help but be pessimistic after the Titans overtime loss to the 49ers last night. For one, the close score is deceiving. The Titans' starters fell behind 13-3 to a team that went 2-14 last year.

Pacman Jones, the Titan's corner selected sixth overall in this year's draft, has dominated the headlines here in Nashville. He actually did pretty well as a cornerback, but he dropped two punts, one of which was recovered by the Niners.

About Pacman: I noticed that his jersey reads "P. Jones." Since his given name is Adam, I can only assume that P stands for Pacman. Some analysts feel that Jones must earn the right to be called Pacman. Personally, I like the nickname, and I'm going to use it. But "P. Jones" seems unprecedented. I recall that Magic Johnson's Lakers jersey read "E. Johnson" (E for Earvin), not "M. Johnson." I could be wrong on this, but I'm not aware of any other major professional sports athletes (the XFL doesn't count) whose nicknames have been indicated on their jerseys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home