Thursday, October 13, 2005

Harriet Miers's 'Ligion

To rationalize the otherwise eye-widening and head-scratching nomination of Harriet Miers, the White House and conservative leaders are dropping hints to suggest, "She'll be OK, because she's an evangelical Christian." (See here and here from Think Progress.)

I will admit that I feel more comfortable working with someone I don't know when I learn that he or she shares my [progressive Christian] religious worldview. But I would need to know a lot more about this hypothetical person before supporting her or him as the next justice of the Supreme Court. And while I love all the people who go to my church, I wouldn't endorse someone for the federal judiciary just because he or she is a member of my congregation (or because she works in the office downstairs).

If you are interested, here is a link to Harriet Miers's Church.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I couldn't care less about her religious affiliation. I want someone who'll take the Constitution at face value. Given a hypothetical choice between an evangelical Christian who is a loose constructionist and a Hindu/Shinto/whatever who is a strict constructionist, I'll take the latter.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home