Wednesday, October 19, 2005

What Do You Do When the Soap Gets Dirty?

Yesterday, in the fitness-center locker room at work, as I was walking from the showers back to my locker, I dropped my soap caddy, and my bar of soap fell on the locker-room floor. When I picked up the soap, the dirt and body hair clinging to it reminded me that the floor of the locker room is hardly clean.

The bar of soap in question was still good for a dozen-or-so showers, so I couldn't just throw it away. But I won't even let my feet touch the locker-room floor; what should I do about a bar of soap that will come in contact with most parts of my body? Who knows what spores and bacteria latched on to the damp surface of my partially used bar of Irish Spring?

I soon found myself washing my soap. Obviously, I couldn't lather myself in dirt, body hair, spores, and bacteria; and it seemed silly to throw away a bar of soap because it was dirty. Of course, if my body already were covered in dirt, stray body hair, spores, and bacteria, I would use soap to clean myself. I would assume, then, that soap is self-cleaning. Still, I didn't want to take my chances, so I continued washing my soap until I had completely removed any part of the surface that could have made contact with the floor. (And, to be completely honest, I used a little hand soap to clean the bar of soap.) I guess I'll find out today when I shower if my cleaning methods worked.

What would you have done?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean your office has a gym? Why the heck are Cole and I paying money to join a gym elsewhere? I guess Cole "conveniently" forgot to mention that. :-)

6:41 AM  
Blogger gavin richardson said...

you have something more than that walking track through all the boxes & pallets?

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home