Monday, December 26, 2005

Correction: I Guess I Need to Be More Discriminating About What I Choose to Post

The same Massachusettes paper that recently broke the story about a UMASS Dartmouth student who was questioned by federal agents for requesting a certain edition of Mao Zedong's Little Red Book from the university library now reports that the story was just a hoax:

NEW BEDFORD -- The UMass Dartmouth student who claimed to have been visited by Homeland Security agents over his request for "The Little Red Book" by Mao Zedong has admitted to making up the entire story.

The 22-year-old student tearfully admitted he made the story up to his history professor, Dr. Brian Glyn Williams, and his parents, after being confronted with the inconsistencies in his account.

I feel like an idiot for citing the story in posts on December 17 and December 22. When I think about my first reaction to the story, I find it absurd that, as someone who cares deeply about civil liberties, I was so excited to report on an incident in which those liberties were apparently violated. As much as I wanted to voice my support for the student who was supposedly the subject of an NSA investigation, I considered the story first and foremost evidence to be used against the Bush administration, many of whose policies I have opposed.

So I apologize to the Bush administration, the NSA, and anyone else whose reputation I have participated in tarnishing by jumping on this story. (At the same time I recognize that few people consider this website a legitimate news source and that I lack the power and influence to truly tarnish any public figure's reputation.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

These introspection-free days, not many people (on either side of the political fence) are willing to take such a critical look at themselves, let alone admit a less-than-flattering result.

Bravo

8:16 PM  
Blogger Zoe Brain said...

What? Someone who's Anti-Bush who actually cares about Facts?

You'll be drummed out of the Regiment for that.

Pardon, you've just demolished lots of prejudices I have, I'm a little disorientated.

And am going to read what else you have to say with interest. I may or may not agree, but at least here's someone who cares about the truth, no matter what their politics. That's rare enough amongst Bush supporters, amongst his detractors, it's almost unknown.

I echo the previous comment : Bravo.

9:25 PM  
Blogger miriam sawyer said...

Good for you! I'm going to add you to my blogroll. You obviously have integrity.

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I echo the comment as well. Facts really should win out in the end. You could have acknowledged your mistake without actually apologizing for it, but you went the extra step.

Having said that, I would also say you have a mistake in this post. There is no such thing (to my knowledge) as an "NSA investigation". The NSA runs eavesdropping equipment, intercepting radio signals and such. It's a technical agency that processes electronic intelligence. It does not go around knocking on people's doors. That's someone else's job.

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home