Friday, January 06, 2006

I Actually Watched The Book of Daniel . . .

. . . and I was outraged! Outraged that CBS cancelled Joan of Arcadia. Daniel is just Joan with weaker writing, weaker characters, and an obsession with being controversial. Instead of a confused teenage girl, Daniel features a confused Episcopal priest; instead of God being manifest in a diversity of personal forms, Daniel gives us Jesus, exactly as he appeared in every Renaissance painting. The Book of Daniel is a decent show; and while it touches on a host of subjects that make some people cringe (homosexuality, female clergy, inter-racial dating, removing a dying person from life support, and so on), the theology (at least in the first episode) is not unorthodox. I just couldn't watch Daniel without yearning for Joan.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth Quick said...

Thanks for the review. I thought about watching, but it just didn't look very good to me. I knew they would never put a Jesus who was - well, as cool as Jesus - on TV. What made me laugh was that the American Family Association said Daniel's Jesus was - gasp - "unconventional". Since when is Jesus supposed to be conventional? And the commercials I saw seemed like a "conventional" Jesus to me - just not in a good way...

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home