Friday, May 12, 2006

I'm Down

I feel as though I'm constantly working but have little to show for it. I used to play rock music; I used to get articles published and write mediocre works of fiction; I used to do a radio show; I used to ride my bike through the green hills of middle Tennessee. I'd like to think that my neglect of such projects is due to an effort to give myself more fully to my household and my work, but I don't know that it is. I have partially set aside my obsessive-compulsive commitment to keeping a clean house and even find myself saying, "No, Meyer. We can't go out and swing right now." I've been lazy about keeping fresh litter in the cat boxes and still haven't sealed the deck. Not that either is terribly important, but in recent months I've failed to meet my reading and exercise goals as well.

I'm not sure what I do, but I'm always busy, and I'm usually tired andor anxious. I also don't understand why I put so much pressure on myself to be productive or why I define productivity the way I do. Given that my wife is nine-months pregnant, I feel guilty for complaining about any of this; but I'm worn out, and I need to vent.

1 Comments:

Blogger DogBlogger said...

Have you tried any SSRI-type meds? I used to think getting on a prescription for depression or anxiety disorder was shameful. That is, until I sucked it up and did; it changed my life for the better. I didn't know what "normal" felt like until my mid-20s. Life is so much easier to handle now, I don't care if I'm on the drugs for the rest of my life!

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home