Monday, July 10, 2006

What Van Lacks in Substance He Makes Up for in Lack of Substance

I saw a Van Hilleary-for-Senate commercial for the first time today. Van's message is, "When I was in the House, I voted against Bill Clinton more than any other congressman." I understand that many Republicans don't like Clinton, but "I'm against Clinton" isn't really a viable political philosophy, especially since Clinton has been out of office for over five years. Even the most conservative Republicans could probably find some Clinton administration policies that they agree with. (Likewise, the most liberal Democrats could probably find some Bush administration policies that they agree with, even if they won't admit it.)

The message behind Hilleary's 2002 gubernatorial campaign was simply, "I oppose a state income tax, no matter what." Of course, his chief opponent, current Governor Phil Bredesen, also opposed a state income tax, so the message wasn't terribly effective.

As it stands, Hilleary seems like a lock to finish third in the Republican primary; and I really don't think that he'll ever win a statewide election. I respect Hilleary for his service in Desert Storm and his refusal to take money from political action committees, but I think he lacks the vision to represent the entire state of Tennessee.

Update: I saw another of Van's commercials today. In this one he mentions conservative values and securing our borders (phrases that could have been lifted from any Bob Corker commercial). Van also vows to "fight Hillary Clinton." I guess the former congressman wants to set himself apart by assuring voters of his strangely intense hatred of the Clintons.

1 Comments:

Blogger TN Rambler said...

Josh, I find the entire Republican primary to be a joke. Hillary and Bryant have both done nothing but attempt to tear down Bob Corker. And neither Bryant nor Hillary did anything when they were in the House that would encourage me to vote for wither one of them. I'm no Corker fan either, but at least he is visiting issues...just wish the others would do so as well.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home