Monday, October 16, 2006

I Don't Understand the Particulars, but the C.E.O. of My Healthcare Provider Announced Today That He Will Resign Amid Scandal

Sorry for the lengthy headline. I'm not an investor, and I don't entirely understand what's going on here, but funny things are happening at UnitedHealth:

MINNEAPOLIS - Faced with an independent report that found widespread problems with the way UnitedHealth Group Inc. issued stock options, the nation’s second-largest health insurer said its chairman and CEO will leave the company.

The company said Sunday that chairman and CEO William McGuire will leave the board immediately and leave the company no later than Dec. 1. Board member William G. Spears will resign, and General Counsel David J. Lubben will retire.

Aside from the ever-increasing chunks that UnitedHealth has taken from my paychecks, I've been pretty happy with my coverage. Of course, my admittedly simplistic view of the world says that any for-profit healthcare operation is at least a little bit evil, because one shouldn't look at sick people and see an opportunity to generate revenue. I've also decided that I have a problem with companies that spell their name as one word, when their name very obviously consists of more than one word. (That means you, MySpace and Citibank.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home