Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"Flaming Arrows of Death" in the TNIV

A while back I complained about the recurrance of the phrase "making love" in Today's New International Version of the Holy Bible (TNIV). This morning, the TNIV redeemed itself in my mind when I read its translation of Proverbs 26:18-19:

Like a maniac shooting flaming arrows of death
is one who deceives a neighbor and says, "I was only joking!"

"Flaming arrows of death!" This is a big improvement over the original NIV, which reads:

Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows
is a man who deceives his neighbor and says, "I was only joking!"

or the NRSV, which reads:

Like a maniac who shoots deadly firebrands and arrows,
so is one who deceives a neighbor and says, "I am only joking!"

Image from Visit Britain.com.

1 Comments:

Blogger rocksalive777 said...

The Message is way off:
"People who shrug off deliberate deceptions, saying, "I didn't mean it, I was only joking," are worse than careless campers who walk away from smoldering campfires."

Somehow,flaming arrows of death just seems to capture the essence better.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home