Monday, February 02, 2009

Running the Pick-and-Roll, Wearing Pants

ESPN Page 2's Uni Watch has this story about a basketball team at a Christian school in Virginia that wears long pants for religious reasons. Apparently the Gate City Christian Warriors are part of a four-team league based in East Tennessee in which all players wear pants instead of shorts. The girls' teams at these schools wear skirts "because the Bible says there should be a separate distinction between a man and a woman in terms of their apparel." (I'm just glad they have girls' teams.) When asked "Is there a specific verse of the Bible that addresses this?" the Gate City Christian principal answered, "There is, but I'd have to look it up -- I don't have it handy, but it's definitely in Scripture." When I search "pants" on the Oremus Bible Browswer nothing comes up. I'll take his word for it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with shorts—on boys or girls. I was wearing shorts today when I hit 81 consecutive free throws on my lunch break. Nonetheless, I have a lot of respect for athletes who honor seemingly inhibitive religious traditions and still manage to compete.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home