Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Roemer Considering Challenging Lugar

After living the first 24 years of my life in Indiana, I take Richard Lugar's re-election to the U.S. Senate every six years as a given. I do not recall the Democrats seriously trying to unseat Lugar in 2000, 1994, or 1988. (I have no memory of senatorial elections prior to '88, and barely remember the '88 election.) This time around, former Democratic U.S. Representative Tim Roemer thinks he has a shot at defeating the popular legislator.

As much as I would like the Republicans to lose control of one of the houses (I think diversity in government is important), I like Lugar. Even if Roemer were a formidable opponent (which I'm not sure that he is), I don't know that the Dems should make unseating Lugar a priority for 2006. Dick Lugar is a good guy. Granted I have problems with some of his votes (read: same-sex marriage amendment) and some of the stands he's taken (read: Bolton nomination), but I appreciate that he is not a strict partisan; he thinks for himself and makes an admirable effort to explain himself to his constituents.

Maybe I'll take back this post when Lugar casts the deciding vote for something I strongly oppose or against something I strongly advocate. Still, I think the Democrats have better places to expend money and resources next year than in Indiana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home