Monday, July 04, 2005

Building for the Sake of Building

The Tennessean reports that another 140 housing units are scheduled to be built in Bellevue, the Nashville suburb where I reside. (This article is in the Bellevue/West Nashville section of the paper and is not available online.) From what I can gather, these homes will be pretty swanky.

New residential properties have been built in Bellevue constantly since I moved here five years ago. In 2000 much of the drive on Old Hickory Boulevard from Interstate 40 to Highway 70S was wooded. Now it's all condos and townhomes. But thinking back over the half-decade I've lived here, I can't think of a time when housing of any kind in Bellevue was lacking. One might struggle to find the ideal rental home, but apartments, townhomes, condos, and houses for all price ranges have been readily available. And while Bellevue has grown some, people are not exactly flocking to area and fighting over high-demand properties.

Obviously, someone is profiting from the Bellevue housing market, but I wonder who's losing out. I don't know if apartment complexes are having trouble filling units or if homeowners are struggling to sell their houses when they move. Maybe a housing surplus will bring down prices in a part of town where residential space is currently overpriced; current Bellevue homeowners (like me) would lose out, but Nashville as a whole might benefit. But regardless of the long-term economic ramifications, I miss the trees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home