Friday, July 01, 2005

I'm Scared

Justice Sandra "Swing Vote" O'Connor just announced her retirement. I would guess that the first question on the mind of most casual observers is the status of Roe vs. Wade. I haven't really been a participant in the abortion debate, as I would not place myself in either the pro-life or pro-choice camps. (For the record, I hate the terms "pro-life" and "pro-choice.")

I am worried, not necessarily about the future of abortion rights, but the future of political discourse in our nation. I forsee some ugly battles in the Senate, a renewed and more passionate debate over judicial filibusters, and some future court decisions that will divide the country. (Of course, much of this would come to pass even if Justice O'Connor weren't to retire. Such is the state of American politics.)

CNN has a cute little slide show of potential nominees.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I've heard that Janice Rogers Brown has a deep, visceral loathing of government. She sounds like a good choice. The less government, the better.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home