Thursday, February 09, 2006

Evangelicals Split on Global Warming

As you may know, I receive press releases from the Institute on Religion and Democracy (IRD), the latest of which praises the National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) for its decision "NOT to endorse campaigns or legislation regarding global warming." Despite the NAE's decision, the New York Times reports that 86 evangelical leaders, including Rick Warren and the presidents of several evangelical colleges, signed a statement backing a "major initiative to fight global warming." (Hat tip: Thunder Jones.)

Personally, I am convinced that global warming is a reality, though I still have questions about the extent to which human technology has caused climate change and whether humankind can slow or reverse the rate at which the temperature is rising. As you probably know, I am not a scientist and am not qualified to speak on these matters. I will say, however, that I am pleased that so many influential Christian evangelicals are taking global warming seriously.

As an aside, I found interesting the following statement on the subject from interim IRD President Alan Wisdom:

Churches should be reluctant to attach the name of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to contemporary political agendas that lack a clear scriptural mandate and consensus among the faithful.

I don't want to start anything, but if you're familiar with IRD, you know that they are in the business of attaching Christ's name to contemporary political agendas. In fairness to IRD, I confess that I sometimes do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home