Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Midterm Musings

I believe strongly that the Republicans should surrender the privilege of running the House and Senate. The dream of a Senate not controlled by the G.O.P. may be reason enough for me to vote for Harold Ford, Jr.. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to hand over the senior legislative body to the Democrats. At the very least, Senate Democrats should pressure Harry Reid to resign his position as minority leader in the wake of reports that Reid violated Senate rules by not disclosing certain details regarding a Las Vegas land deal.

As for the House, Rolling Stone ranks the 10 worst representatives, beginning with embattled Speaker Dennis Hastert. The piece draws much needed attention to Capitol Hill's culture of corruption, but it is largely fodder for people who already have no intention to vote for or support anyone on the list. Republicans make up 90 percent of the list; and while I can believe that Republicans are more corrupt than Democrats, I'm not buying a list of the 10 worst congresspeople that includes only one Dem (William Jefferson, number 4). The article is also peppered with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's opinions on her colleagues, quotes that expose the ideological viewpoint of the writers and editors.

Speaking of Pelosi, some Republican-friendly pundits are trying to put the fear of Nancy into voters. I understand that Republicans don't want Democrats to control the House, but what is so bad about Pelosi specifically? Do they despise her for the same reasons they despise Hillary Clinton? Do they think voters will be reluctant to give a strong-willed woman so much power? (Yes, I'm making big assumptions, but I smell misogyny.) As someone who is a little embarrassed that the United States (unlike Bangladesh and Pakistan) has never had a female head of state or government, I think having a woman as Speaker of the House would do us good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home