Friday, March 02, 2007

Your Apostrophe Offend's Offends Me

Yesterday on my way to work, I was behind a minivan bearing a slick, professionally manufactured window decal that read:

My daughter play's for

********* **** ***** youth softball


No no no no no! How many people let that slide? How many people failed to notice the apostrophe that turns "play" from a verb to a noun and renders the sentence nonsensical?

As a culture and community, we need to table all efforts to make English the official or only recognized language until we can be assured that most people have a basic grasp of how the language works.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam Davidson said...

Well put. I s'ee so much of that in the blogging world. I've started to stop reading post's that commit such error's.

6:07 AM  
Blogger DogBlogger said...

Timely post. Yesterday I proofed a paper for my nephew, a high school senior. In it, he used "two" instead of "too," but the real kicker was worthy of one of those collections forwarded by English teachers: "CFCs were used as propellants in arousal cans..."
Dear me.

6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home