Wednesday, May 30, 2007

How to Make Kobe Bryant a Pacer

After making a series of questionable trades in the past two years, my Indiana Pacers have no cap space nor first round pick and have put themselves in position to miss the Playoffs for the next eight or nine seasons. In my desperate search for a glimpse of hope, I have convinced myself (against my better judgment) that the Pacers have an outside chance of trading for the league's best player.

Kobe Bryant told Stephen A. Smith today that he no longer wants to be a Laker. Personally, I can't imagine the Lakers trading Kobe unless they were to get in return a proven superstar whose best days are still ahead (someone like Chris Bosh or Gilbert Arenas). But let's pretend that Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak would consider trading their franchise player for Jermaine O'Neal.

I played with ESPN.com's NBA trade machine to see if I could come up with a deal that wouldn't seem entirely ridiculous to Lakers management. Here's what I came up with: Indiana would send O'Neal, Marquis Daniels (a solid bench player and capable occasional starter), and Shawne Williams (last year's questionable draft pick who may or may not have the potential to become a good player) to Los Angeles for Bryant and Kwame Brown. Not only would the Lakers get a perennial all-star, a proven role-player, and a prospect, but they would also rid themselves of Kwame Brown and his inflated contract.

Mull it over, Dr. Buss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home