Friday, April 11, 2008

Channel 4's I-Team Tries to Get People Fired for Editing Wikipedia at Work

From last night's Channel 4 I-Team Report:

Taxpayers pay the salaries of state workers, and once they see what some workers were doing with their work computers, taxpayers may want their money back.

The workers are expected to type, crunch numbers and keep government up and running.

Channel 4's Jeremy Finley found some state workers editing sometimes lengthy entries for Web sites that clearly have nothing to do with work. One person took the time to add all the lyrics of the theme song for "All in the Family."

Are you outraged? I am. I'm outraged that Channel 4 considers people playing on Wikipedia at work newsworthy. I'm further outraged that the I-Team is implicitly calling for these people's jobs.

Consider the story's description of what these state employees do at work: "The workers are expected to type, crunch numbers and keep government up and running." No one can "type, crunch numbers and keep government up and running" for eight hours a day without losing his or her soul. Go ahead and spend twenty minutes here or there editing the "Flash Gordon" Wikipedia page or "verifying Shemp's catch phrases on 'The Three Stooges.' " I won't demand my tax money back.

I have more thoughts on this topic, but I have to go to work now.

3 Comments:

Blogger GingerSnaps said...

That is ridiculous. It must've been a slow news day.

Furthermore, you are right: if having a few minutes of enjoyment is what a person needs to keep their morale up, then I say go for it! It will make for more productivity in the long run!

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

100% agreed. Calling for people's jobs because they surfed the internet? Ridiculous.

8:05 AM  
Blogger TN Rambler said...

And to think that Channel 4 at one time really knew what investigative journalism really meant.

8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home