Friday, June 26, 2009

Tell Them That It's Human Nature

I confess that I felt a sense of relief when I learned yesterday that Michael Jackson died. For anyone who was alive and listening to pop music during the 1970s and 1980s, watching Jackson self-destruct—and allegedly hurt several children and their families along the way—has been painful. I can only imagine how painful the past 15-or-so years have been for Jackson, his close friends and family, and the aforementioned children and their families. It's as though Michael Jackson had been terminally ill. While his suffering and death were tragic, now that the illness has passed, we are free to remember and celebrate Jackson as he was before he got sick. So do yourself a favor today and listen to "I Want You Back," "Blame It on the Boogie," "Say, Say, Say," "Billie Jean," "Human Nature," and/or Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me." (Stay away from the Bad album; I listened to "Bad" and "Smooth Criminal" this morning, and they don't really hold up.) Embrace this opportunity to enjoy the contributions of one of the great performers in pop music history.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the "Bad" and "Smooth Criminal" videos. Indeed, I think that much of MJ's greatness was around the stories and theatrical nature of his videos and concerts. I also liked the message of "Man in the Mirror." Nevertheless, I agree with you about recognize the impact he had as a performer. While I did not know of him as a child performer, I thought he was fun to watch in shows like "Free to be you and me" and The Wiz.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're kidding... I don't quite get your post, do you actually believe the media? Those 'alleged' charges are so far-fetched its sickening..

Michael wasn't very stable either but he had his own problems to deal with (his family and himself), and when he had to go through media circus hell, it only made him worse, and he's probably felt extremely bad psychologically the past few years before his death. He fell from the 'top' and although he had a talent no other had he was pushed out of the 'good' spotlight and into the 'bad' kind of spotlight after the mid-90s.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home