Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Are There Non-Tomato Ketchups?

The other day, as I was pouring some Heinz Tomato Ketchup onto my plate, I asked myself: Why do Heinz and other ketchup producers always describe their product as "tomato ketchup"? Are there other varieties of ketchup that aren't tomato-based?

The Mt. Juliet Publix—which gets an A+ for customer service—doesn't sell any. Every bottle of ketchup in their condiment aisle names its contents as "tomato ketchup," which looks funny as there are no other ketchup varieties available. But Wikipedia says, "Although today's ketchup is invariably tomato based, it did not appear until about a century after other types." Apparently there's such a thing as mushroom ketchup. (Wikipedia also mentions walnut ketchup.) In fact, mushroom ketchup recipes abound on the Internet. I would have to imagine that mushroom ketchup is a very different condiment than its tomato-based sibling. But I'd still like to try some with my French fries.

At some point, I'll give mushroom ketchup a try. In the meantime, I'd like to explore the possibility of other ketchups, ones that persons who only know the tomato variety would recognize as ketchups. So far, I've come up with one vegetable that might be worth ketchup-izing: carrots. As you can see, I made a bottle of Heinz Carrot Ketchup in about ten minutes using the open-source image-manipulation software The Gimp. (I could have done it in five if I'd had Photoshop.) But, if I ever get around to it (and I probably won't), I'd like to make a batch of actual carrot ketchup. I figure I'll boil the carrots then put them in the food processor. I'll add vinegar, salt, sugar, and some spices and see what happens.

If you would like to try your hand at making carrot ketchup, please let me know how it turns out.

3 Comments:

Blogger AnnMKnapp said...

ketchupworld.com sells both banana and mango ketchup.

ugh...looked at the word "ketchup" too much and now it looks weird.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Tinley said...

Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

We have some banana ketchup in our fridge right now.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home