Thursday, September 09, 2010

I Just Became Aware of More George Lucas Star Wars Tampering

Every few years since 1997, George Lucas has toyed with his meisterwerk, the Star Wars original trilogy. Some of the changes are obvious and ridiculous. Others are more subtle.

This evening, while doing some research on Wikipedia to find out whether Bail Antilles and Wedge Antilles were from the same planet or related in some way, I learned of a subtle change to Empire Strikes Back that I hadn't noticed before. For the 2004 DVD release of Empire, Lucas replaced Boba Fett's original voice (provided by Twilight Zone veteran Jason Wingreen) with the voice of Temuera Morrison, who played Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones. In Clones we learn that Boba Fett is a perfect genetic replica of his father; so, yes, Boba's adult voice should be similar and perhaps identical to Jango's. But I'm bothered by the degree to which Lucas has gone to make the original films play better with the prequels.

The Fett thing isn't really a big deal. Like I said, I didn't even notice it. But I wish Lucas could be content with imperfection. The original Star Wars films are imperfect, but they're great. And nothing Lucas has done to buff out the imperfections has made the original trilogy any greater than it already was. (And if he decides to address the imperfections with the prequels, I fear his golden years will be long and miserable.)

Actually, I'll take this one step further: George Lucas should retire from Star Wars. But, before he does, he should give someone like Edgar Wright his blessing to do a Star Wars reboot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home