Sunday, August 13, 2006

I'm Not Sold on Sesame Street's New Muppet

For the first time in over a decade, Sesame Street is adding a new muppet, Abby Cadabby (pictured). "Abby is a 3-year-old 'fairy-in-training' and the daughter of a Fairy Godmother" (Muppet Wiki).

I am glad that Sesame Street is adding a female character, particularly a female muppet. The muppet population is overwhelmingly male; adding a girl is a good move. I just don't like that Abby is a fairy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with magic in children's entertainment; I look forward to the day when I can read my children the first Harry Potter book. But Sesame Street is not the right neighborhood for magic. Anything magical that happens on Sesame Street should be the result of imagination. In an environment where imagination thrives, everyone has the same capacity for magic. Adding a uniquely magical character (even if she is three-years old and has not mastered her powers) disrupts this arrangement.

You can catch Abby on tomorrow (Monday) morning's Today Show.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home